top of page

Your Individual Tax Return Checklist


This is a general checklist. Some items may or may not apply to you. Use this as a guide to gather applicable documents.

Personal Information

  • Your social security number or tax ID number

  • Your spouse’s full name, social security number or tax ID number, and date of birth

  • Information about your stimulus payment —also known as an economic impact payment (EIP) —if applicable —you may have IRS Notice 1444 or other records showing your EIP amount.

  • Identity Protection PIN, if one has been issued to you, your spouse, or your dependent by the IRS

  • Routing and account numbers to receive your refund by direct deposit or pay your balance due if you choose

Dependent(s) Information

  • Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers

  • Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable

  • Income of dependents and of other adults in your home

  • Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Sources of Income

Employed: Forms W-2

Unemployed: Unemployment (1099-G)


  • Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to

  • verify amounts not reported on 1099-MISC or new 1099-NEC

  • Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements and receipts

  • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

  • Office in home information, if applicable

  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

Rental Income

  • Records of income and expenses

  • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation

  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

Retirement Income

  • Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

  • Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)

  • Social security/RRB income (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)

Savings & Investments or Dividends

  • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

  • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

  • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if the basis is not reported on 1099-B)

  • Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

  • Expenses related to your investments

  • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

  • Transactions involving cryptocurrency (Virtual currency)

Other Income & Losses

  • Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)

  • Jury duty records

  • Hobby income and expenses

  • Prizes and awards

  • Trust income

  • Royalty Income 1099–MISC

  • Any other 1099s received

  • Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN

  • State tax refund

Types of Deductions

Home Ownership

  • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements

  • Real estate and personal property tax records

  • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (e.g., solar panels, solar water heater)

  • All other 1098 series forms Charitable Donations

  • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations

  • Records of non-cash charitable donations

  • Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes

Medical Expenses

  • Amounts paid for healthcare, insurance, and to doctors, dentists, and hospitals

Health Insurance

  • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace

Childcare Expenses

  • Fees paid to a licensed daycare center or family daycare for care of an infant or preschooler

  • Amounts paid to a baby-sitter or provider care of your child under age 13 while you work

  • Expenses paid through a dependent care flexible spending account at work

Educational Expenses

  • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

  • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses

  • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received

  • Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest K-12 Educator Expenses

  • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)

State & Local Taxes

  • Amount of state and local income or sales tax paid (other than wage withholding)

  • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid and/or personal property tax on vehicles

Retirement & Other Savings

  • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions

  • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

  • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

Federally Declared Disaster

  • City/county you lived/worked/had property in

  • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)

  • Records of rebuilding/repair costs

  • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid

  • FEMA assistance information. Check the FEMA website to see if your county has been declared a federal disaster area

Every Client is different and unique!

This is not a comprehensive list, but the list is a good starting point for gathering the required documents. When you meet with your CPA Advisor, they will advise you of any other documents that may be required.

Modern CPAs now have fixed pricing packages to choose from. Find a progressive thinking CPA to help you build your business from the ground up. Look for a CPA that understands all aspects of business and not just taxes!

Why do you need a CPA Advisor?

CPAs are the backbone of every business. They are the top surgeons of any business. They go through vigorous education; they must be licensed to serve the public and uphold high ethical standards!

CPA advisors are unique because they understand business operations, tax, accounting codes, marketing, pricing, treasury, and investor expectations and can forecast your business success!

Working with a CPA advisor at all stages of your business will guarantee your success! Schedule your free strategy session with us today!

Individual Tax Returns Filing Checklist
Download PDF • 492KB



bottom of page